How does it taste? Trust me, you will fall in love with this recipe. It tastes just like a Christmas miracle. You get spicy glazed skin with the flavor of ginger and orange. Hoisin sauce is made from fermented soybeans with the addition of fennel, hot peppers, and garlic. It adds an Asian flavor and umami aroma to chicken. It’s tangy, salty, and sweet.
What part of the chicken to use? You can use this hoisin chicken marinade for chicken legs, thighs, breast with skin, or wings.
Ok, how to cook chicken with Hoisin sauce?
Baked Honey Hoisin Chicken with Ginger and Orange
|PREP TIME||COOK TIME||MAKES|
|5 minutes||60 minutes||2 servings|
INGREDIENTS (serves 2)
- 1 kg chicken (poussin or any young chicken)
- 2 oranges
- 2.5 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1-2 tsp Sriracha (can be replaced with any hot sauce or sweet chili)
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- If possible, take the chicken out of the refrigerator to warm it up to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F.
- Remove the zest from an orange with a fine grater or a special knife. Squeeze the juice out of half of it. You should get 3-4 tablespoons.
- Mix the zest, ginger, orange juice, hoisin sauce, oil, and honey.
- Dry the chicken with paper towels and rub salt on the inside and outside. Inside the chicken, put the rest of the orange from which you squeezed the juice and half an orange without zest, cut into two parts.
- Cut the second orange half into circles and line the baking dish around the perimeter.
- Spread a little sauce on all sides of the chicken. Place breast side down in the baking dish and put in the oven.
- After 20 minutes, turn the chicken over and brush liberally with the sauce.
- Turn over every 15-20 minutes. Baste the chicken liberally on top each time.
My 1 kg chicken bakes for 60 minutes. If your chicken is larger, cook for 7 minutes for every additional 100 grams (3 ½ oz) of chicken weight. And turn the heat down to 190°C/375°F.
- For the last 20 minutes, cook the chicken breast side up. Brush with the rest of the sauce and increase the temperature to 230°C / 450°F.
Get new recipe each week!
You may like these too…
What to Cook This Week?