This combines my favorite curry spice blend and chicken. Roasting chicken with onions is such a juicy way to cook it. Also, you’ll have gravy ready to go right away. Rings of fresh chili peppers and green onions add just the right amount of freshness and extra spice to the dish. If you don’t want it spicy, remove the chili peppers. Serve with basmati rice or sticky round rice. Baked or mashed potatoes also work fine. Great with beer.
Any chicken will work for this recipe. You can take any young chicken. Cornish Game Hen or Poussin chicken (sometimes called coquelet or spring chicken) And of course you can cook regular chicken using this recipe. Just cut it into 4 pieces.
Baked Curry Chicken
Curry baked chicken with onion in oven
|PREP TIME||COOK TIME||MAKES|
|5-7 minutes||50-60 minutes||2 servings|
INGREDIENTS (serves 2-3)
- 1 small chicken (~800 g, 1 lb 12 oz)
- 1 small onion
- 40 g ( 1½ oz) ginger
- 2 tsp curry spice mix
- ⅔ tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp chili (to taste)
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 fresh chili
- 1 tbsp chopped green onions
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F.
- Dice the onion. Do not peel the ginger, grate it on a fine grater.
- Mix the onion, ginger, oil, salt, and spices.
4. Cut the chicken lengthwise into 2 pieces. You need to cut the breast first, then the back on one side of the backbone. Place the chicken in a baking dish and brush both sides with the onion and spice mixture. Place it skin down.
5. Put the chicken in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Turn it over and baste every 15 minutes. Each time the gravy starts to dry out, add 2 tbsp water to the pan.
6. After 30 minutes, increase the temperature to 220°C/425°F and bake for another 20-25 minutes, still turning and basting the chicken. Bake the chicken skin-side up for the last 10-15 minutes of cooking.
If your chicken is larger, cook for 7 minutes for every additional 100 grams (3 ½ oz) of chicken weight (for oven roasting uncovered, in a 190°C/375°F). Also, if you are taking a large chicken, increase the temperature to only 200°C/390°F. The golden crust will have time to cook.
Subscribe for my free weekly newsletter!
More recipes in the oven
What to Cook This Week?