If you continue to neglect poussin chicken and choose an adult bird for dinner, stop doing it immediately!
Poussin chicken are sweet and juicy. They are convenient to cook for a large group and there will never be quarrels. Who gets the breast and who gets a leg? In the end, everyone gets everything.
We need 1 poussin chicken for dinner for two if we eat it with potatoes, vegetables and sauce. It weighs about 600 grams (1,3 lb). If you are hungry or not preparing a side dish, take 1 poussin chicken per person.
What is poussin chicken? Poussin (sometimes called coquelet or spring chicken) is a young chicken, less than 28 days old and usually 450–750 grams (1-1,6 lb). In the USA is popular Cornish Game Hen chicken (a small-sized cross-breed chicken). But they are little more than poussin.
You can cook regular chicken using this recipe. Just cut it into 2 or 4 pieces.
What to serve with? For a side dish, you can use broccoli and carrots, cauliflower, baked sweet potatoes, or boiled rice. You can simply serve hummus or mashed green peas. You can serve the poussin chicken with just a green salad. Here is my Waldorf salad, which goes perfectly, by the way.
Sauce. I usually make a sauce from thick Greek yogurt with garlic, salt, and lemon juice. Or I dilute Tahini to the consistency of sour cream, with salt, add lemon juice, garlic, and a little cumin or coriander.
By the way, instead of lemon, an orange is perfect for chicken. If you want spicy poussin chicken, add some dried chili.
Poussin Chicken with Baked Potatoes, Carrots, and Lemon
|PREP TIME||COOK TIME||MAKES|
|10 minutes||60 minutes||1-2 servings|
INGREDIENTS (serves 1-2)
- 1 poussin chicken
- 4-5 potatoes
- 4 young carrots
- 1 large onion
- ½ lemon
- 1 tsp whole grain mustard
- 1.5 tbsp refined olive oil
- 1.5 tsp curry powder
- 2 pinches of garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Basil leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 230°C /450°F. Use convection mode, so the skin is uniform.
2. Cut the poussin chicken into 2 pieces. First cut the breast, then cut along the spine.
3. Zest half a lemon using a fine grater or a special knife. Mix the mustard, oil, curry, salt, garlic, and lemon zest.
4. Brush the mixture on all sides of the chicken. Place the chicken skin down on a baking sheet or in a large baking dish. Remember, the vegetables should fit next to it.
5. Peel the potatoes and carrots. Cut the potatoes in halves. Carrots in 3-4 pieces. Pour boiling water over the vegetables and cook for 10 minutes.
6. Drain, add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and salt. Stir to spread the salt and oil over the vegetables. Cut the onion into wedges. Cut half the lemon into slices.
7. Turn the chicken over and place the vegetables around it.
The vegetables can be tightly packed, but in 1 layer, to get a golden crust.
8. Turn the chicken over every 15 minutes, so it will not dry out and the skin will be uniform. The vegetables don’t need so much attention. It’s enough to turn them over 1-2 times during the entire cooking time if a strong sear is formed.
9. Bake the chicken for about 1 hour until golden brown. If you aren’t sure if it’s ready, cut the leg near the hip joint. There should be no blood. The juice should be clear, not pink. Add the basil leaves and serve.
CHIKEN RECIPES FROM OUR FRIENDS:
Crispy Chicken Cutlets by the-bella-vita.com
Get new recipe to your inbox.
You may like these too…
What to Cook This Week?