Ideal and comforting food for fall or winter. The leaves are changing color and you want something warm. This porridge is thick and very creamy. Because we stew the pumpkin in a bit of water. It’s an ideal breakfast or lunch snack.
Pumpkin porridge is very popular in Ukraine. It’s eaten as a dessert or for breakfast. Grandma made it for me in my childhood and it was one of my favorite dishes. Previously, for some reason, only large, slightly flattened pumpkins were sold here. They were cut into pieces at the market, because no one wanted to lug a whole pumpkin home, and they couldn’t even. But you could see the color right away. If you have the opportunity to choose, pick a bright pumpkin. I have the Hokkaido variety. It has firm flesh and a slightly nutty flavor.
Sugar is usually added to porridge, but I prefer not to use it at all or add a spoonful of honey or maple syrup on top when serving. If you eat sugar and like sweets, add 2-3 tbsp of sugar when you pour in the cream.
Use round rice. Arborio or Carnaroli rice are also perfect for porridge.
You can take 29-oz can 100% puree pumpkin and replace the regular cream with coconut. Just choose heavy coconut cream, not milk.
I hope you enjoy my recipe! It will make you feel warm and cozy.
Pumpkin Rice Porridge. Thick and Creamy
|PREP TIME||COOK TIME||MAKES|
|2 minutes||30 minutes||2-3 servings|
INGREDIENTS (serves 2-3)
- 700 g (1 lb 9 oz) pumpkin (or 29-oz can 100% pumpkin pure)
- 60 g (2 oz) round rice
- 80 g (3 oz, 5½ tbsp) cream 10% (or coconut cream)
- 200 ml (7 fl oz) water
- 20 g (1 tbsp) butter
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1 sprig of thyme
- Very small dash of nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- Sugar or honey
- Peel the pumpkin, remove the seeds and the soft fibrous part under the seeds. Cut into small pieces.
- Place pumpkin and rice in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Open the lid periodically and stir (about every 4-5 minutes).
- Pour in the cream, add the butter, cinnamon, thyme, salt and just a little nutmeg. Just rub the nutmeg on a fine grater over the porridge 3-4 times. Cook, stirring for another 5-7 minutes.
If you want to add sugar, add 2-3 tbsp of sugar when you pour in the cream.
- Use a potato masher to mash the porridge a little.
If you want a completely homogeneous texture, blend the porridge with an immersion blender.
- Serve with honey, maple syrup, chopped almonds, pecans, pine nuts, or cashews.
UKRAINIAN HOME COOKING
Favorite recipes with love
The book is available on Amazon in different countries.
50% of each sale will be donated to Charity to help the children and people of Ukraine.
Subscribe for my free weekly newsletter!
More Fall Recipes
What to Cook This Week?