It’s simple and so delicious. This salad is sold in small containers in Israel, but it’s super easy to make at home. I like to eat it right away while it’s still crispy, but if you want it to be like the store-bought version, leave it in the fridge for at least 1-2 hours. Then the salad will be soft and creamy. I also like to add a teaspoon of Dijon mustard sometimes. So try it sometime, too. It’s also important to slice the cabbage thinly.
The classic salad recipe is made with mayonnaise only, but to reduce the calories, you can use half mayonnaise, half Greek yogurt.
Israeli Red Cabbage Salad
|PREP TIME||COOK TIME||MAKES|
|5 minutes||5 minutes||2 servings|
INGREDIENTS (serves 2)
- 1 (400 g, 14 oz) small head of cabbage
- 1 tbsp wine vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 2 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- Remove the top thin and withered leaves from the cabbage. Cut it into two pieces. Finely chop the cabbage.
If you are not sure of your skills, it is better to use a chopper or a wide vegetable slicer. Cut the cabbage into 2 pieces and simply cut the cabbage with a vegetable slicer from the cut side.
- Add sugar, salt, and wine vinegar to the cabbage. Mix and gently squeeze with your hands.
- Add the mayonnaise. Start with 2 tbsp. Mix. If not enough, add more. If you want a soft salad, leave it in the fridge for at least 1-2 hours.
Subscribe for my free weekly newsletter!
More salad recipes
What to Cook This Week?