This is the most perfect mashed sweet potato. Very simple recipe. It has a very full, creamy flavor. That’s because we don’t boil sweet potato in a lot of water, but stew them under a lid. Perfect with caramelized onions.
Substitutions. How to make vegan mashed sweet potatoes? You can use vegetable oil instead of butter, and you can also replace heavy cream with coconut cream. This will make your mashed potato vegan.
You can also fry the onions without honey.
Sweet potato purée make for the great side dish to baked duck leg, roasted duck or goose fillet, chicken, steak or grilled prawns.
Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Heavy Cream and Caramelized Onions
|PREP TIME||COOK TIME||MAKES|
|5 minutes||25 minutes||2 servings|
INGREDIENTS (serves 2)
For mashed sweet potato:
- 1 sweet potato (330 g, 11½ oz)
- 20 g (1 tbsp) butter
- 60 ml (2 fl oz) of thin cream 10-20% fat
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 60 ml (2 fl oz) water
For caramelized onions:
- 1 large red onion (180 g)
- 10 g (1 tbsp) butter
- 20 g (½ tbsp) vegetable oil
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Chinese anise star (badian)
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- Caramelized onions. Peel the onion and cut into half rings. Add vegetable oil to a skillet, add butter and onion. Fry over very low heat, stirring until soft. 10-12 minutes.
- Add honey, Chinese anise, cinnamon, and salt. Cook for another 7-8 minutes until golden. Stir frequently. Add the vinegar. Cook for another 3 minutes.
- Mashed sweet potato. Peel the sweet potato and cut into small pieces. Put it in a small saucepan with a thick bottom, add the oil.
- Cover with the lid and place over very low heat. Cook until the sweet potato are lightly toasted, about 10 minutes.
- As soon as the yams begin to change color, pour in 60 ml (2 fl oz) of water. Salt and cover with a lid. Cook over very low heat, stirring, until sweet potato are soft. Check readiness with a toothpick.
- Pour in the vinegar and cream. Increase the fire. Stirring the sweet potato with a spoon, keep on the heat until the cream is hot, 10-15 seconds.
- Mash the sweet potato. Use a potato masher.
For an ultra smooth texture, you will want to use can a hand blender or food processor.
- Taste, add salt if necessary. Place the mashed sweet potato on a plate, top with caramelized onions.
- Drizzle with the oil in which the onions were fried.
Get new recipe each week!
You may like these too…
What to Cook This Week?