This is a simple recipe for peanut butter chicken. The style is reminiscent of chicken curry. You get a thick, tangy, sweet gravy that envelops the tender pieces of chicken meat in asian style.
How does it taste? Herby Asian, slightly spicy, with the distinct nutty flavor of peanuts. Cumin and coriander make the flavor more complex and deep. Paprika adds brightness to the color.
Sharpness. I add Sriracha sauce for spiciness, you can use dried chili peppers or any hot sauce like Sweet chili. Adjust the spiciness to your taste.
Which part of a chicken to choose? The recipe works with any part of a chicken. I like to use meat from chicken thighs, as it is juicy and tender. Although you can use chicken fillet.
Use classic creamy peanut butter without sugar.
Rice. Basmati or round sushi rice. Asian sticky rice will also work. You can serve peanut butter chicken with buckwheat, wheat or rice noodles.
What to drink? Light filtered beer or ginger beer is great.
Ok, How to make chinese peanut butter chicken?
Chinese Peanut Butter Fried Chicken
|PREP TIME||COOK TIME||MAKES|
|5 minutes||25-30 minutes||2 servings|
INGREDIENTS (serves 2)
- 4 boneless chicken thighs (600 g, 1.3 lb)
- 1 onion (100 g, 3.5 oz)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 40 g (1.4 oz) fresh ginger
- 3 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1-2 tsp Sriracha or any other hot sauce
- ⅓ tsp ground cumin
- ⅓ tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 2 tbsp peeled peanuts
- 1 tbsp cilantro leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped green onions
- Cut the chicken thighs into four pieces. Finely chop the onion. Grate the ginger on a fine grater. Finely dice the garlic with a knife. Roast the peanuts in a dry skillet. Coarsely chop with a knife.
- Boil the rice.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a skillet. Fry the chicken until golden on all sides.
- Lightly salt. Add onions and cook over medium heat, stirring until soft.
- Add the spices, garlic, and ginger. Roast for a couple of minutes.
- Add peanut butter, soy sauce, and Sriracha. Turn down the heat. Pour in 3 tablespoons of water and stew for 5 minutes. If the sauce is too thick, pour in another 1-2 tablespoons of water. Taste the sauce and salt, if necessary.
- Place the peanut butter chicken on top of cooked rice; sprinkle with peanuts, green onions, and cilantro leaves.
New recipes in your inbox
You may like these too…
What to Cook This Week?