Ossobuco or osso buco – this is a cozy autumn and winter dish. Beef knuckle is the cheapest, most flavorful, and underrated part of the cow. The meat is tough, but stewing makes it tender by releasing a lot of collagen from the tendons. Don’t forget to eat the marrow from the center of the bone. Lightly salt it and put it on a piece of bread.
What to serve with osso bucco? Risotto, mashed potatoes, couscous, or polenta are ideal as a side dish. Serve with pickles, like pickled hot peppers, tomatoes, or cucumbers.
What kind of meat is in osso buco? Traditionally, osso buco is made with beef. But you can use veal, pork, lamb, or turkey.
What to drink with osso bucco? What You can wash it down with tomato juice, a Bloody Mary, hearty red wine, or unfiltered beer.
How to cook osso buco? Traditionally, the knuckle slices are rolled in flour and then fried. I don’t like adding extra unhealthy calories to a dish unless it makes sense. So we just fry the slices in oil and then stew until soft, along with the vegetables and spices.
You can prepare this dish in a cauldron over a fire outdoors for a large number of people. And serve with wheat porridge.
Braised Cross-cut Beef Shank with Carrots and Onions – Osso Buco
|PREP TIME||COOK TIME||MAKES|
|10 minutes||1-2 hours||2 servings|
INGREDIENTS (serves 2)
- 1 kg cross-cut beef or veal shank – osso buco (2-3 slices)
- 2 carrots (250 g)
- 4 onions (350 g)
- 1 head of garlic
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 8 allspice peppercorns
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 hot chili pepper or jalapeno
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep, thick-sided saucepan. Fry the beef slices on both sides until brown. Remove the meat and set it aside.
- Coarsely chop the onion into feathers and the carrots into thick rounds.
- Peel the garlic cloves and crush them with the flat side of a knife.
- Put the onions and carrots in the saucepan and sauté for about 7-10 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for another 2-3 minutes. Add 300 milliliters of water and return the meat to the pot. Add rosemary, allspice, coriander, and bay leaf. Reduce the heat to low.
- Stew for half an hour, turn the meat over, and add salt. Gently turn the pieces of meat every half hour and cook until the meat is soft. The meat should easily detach from the bone. At the end, add black pepper and the chopped hot peppers.
UKRAINIAN HOME COOKING
Favorite recipes with love
Order the cookbook on Amazon.
50% of each sale will be donated to Charity to help the children and people of Ukraine.