Comfort food that can be prepared in advance. After all, it only gets better the next day. Very popular dish in Ukraine.
Braised Cabbage with Pork Ribs
|PREP TIME||COOK TIME||MAKES|
|10-15 minutes||70-80 minutes||4 servings|
INGREDIENTS (serves 4)
- 1 kg (2,2 lbs) pork ribs
- 1.6 kg (3,5 lbs) cabbage
- 2 big onions
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Juice of ½ lemon (2.5 tbsp lemon juice)
- Vegetable oil (~7 tbsp, 100 ml)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cumin
- Heat vegetable oil in a thick-bottomed pot or use a deep skillet. Cover and roast the ribs until dark.
- Cut the onion into half rings. Add to the ribs and braise over low heat for about 30 minutes until soft.
- Shred the cabbage. Salt and lightly knead with your hands. Add to the meat and onions. Sprinkle in the cumin. Stir the cabbage to evenly distribute the fat. Braise for 30-40 minutes. Stir occasionally. The cabbage should be cooked, but remain slightly crispy.
- Add sugar, lemon juice, and tomato paste. Mix well and braise for another 10 minutes.
UKRAINIAN HOME COOKING
Favorite recipes with love
Order the cookbook on Amazon.
50% of each sale will be donated to Charity to help the children and people of Ukraine.
New recipes in your inbox
You may like these too…
What to Cook This Week?
A simple, smooth carrot puree can serve as a side dish or sauceRead More
This is a cozy autumn and winter dish.Read More