Comfort food that can be prepared in advance. After all, it only gets better the next day. Very popular dish in Ukraine.
Braised Cabbage with Pork Ribs
|PREP TIME||COOK TIME||MAKES|
|10-15 minutes||70-80 minutes||4 servings|
INGREDIENTS (serves 4)
- 1 kg (2,2 lbs) pork ribs
- 1.6 kg (3,5 lbs) cabbage
- 2 big onions
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Juice of ½ lemon (2.5 tbsp lemon juice)
- Vegetable oil (~7 tbsp, 100 ml)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cumin
- Heat vegetable oil in a thick-bottomed pot or use a deep skillet. Cover and roast the ribs until dark.
- Cut the onion into half rings. Add to the ribs and braise over low heat for about 30 minutes until soft.
- Shred the cabbage. Salt and lightly knead with your hands. Add to the meat and onions. Sprinkle in the cumin. Stir the cabbage to evenly distribute the fat. Braise for 30-40 minutes. Stir occasionally. The cabbage should be cooked, but remain slightly crispy.
- Add sugar, lemon juice, and tomato paste. Mix well and braise for another 10 minutes.
UKRAINIAN HOME COOKING
Favorite recipes with love
Order the cookbook on Amazon.
50% of each sale will be donated to Charity to help the children and people of Ukraine.
New recipes in your inbox
You may like these too…
What to Cook This Week?
TOMATO AND BURRATA PASTA
Is a delicious and creamy dish that combines the sweetness of cherry tomatoes with the rich flavor of burrata cheese.Read More
Thin Pancakes with Caramelized Apples, Walnuts and Raisins
This is a very simple recipe for thin apple crepes.Read More
An easy and quick Beet Hummus recipeRead More
Egg Fish Sandwich
A great quick snack recipe.Read More
Zucchini Carrot Fritters
Tasty vegetable fritters for the whole familyRead More
Quick and Easy Shakshuka for Two
This is for everyone who, like me, just loves eggs with tomatoes.Read More
CANNED CHICKPEA HUMMUS
An easy and quick recipe for the perfect canned chickpea hummus.Read More
DERUNY – UKRAINIAN POTATO FRITTERS
Crispy potato fritters – Ukrainian traditional dish.Read More
Carrot Puree with Ginger and Coriander Without Milk
A simple, smooth carrot puree can serve as a side dish or sauceRead More
UZBEK PILAF WITH LAMB
A real very detailed recipe for Uzbek pilaf.Read More